The 2013 Great Labor Arts Exchange is coming up and will take place June 28th – 30th and will be held at the Maritime Center in Maryland, near the BWI airport. This year’s theme: “Gonna Take Us All” is dedicated to recently deceased AFM Local 1000 member Jon Fromer. The theme reminds us that it is going to take all of us, working together, to build strong unions and a progressive movement; to promote and ensure the dignity of work and workers for the good of all of our communities.
There will be a songwriting contest, and we encourage Local 1000 members to register and participate.
- Songwriters must sign up for the Arts Exchange and indicate song is a contender and category.
- Limit: one song per category and may only enter two of the three categories.
- LHF staff will keep track of song entries. Decision will be made after the last Exchange.
- Winning songs will be sung by the songwriter (or designee) during the Sunday night concert.
- Each GLAE participant gets one vote, per song and per category.
“Since its inception, as the Great Labor Song Exchange, some of labor’s greatest advocates, entertainers, cultural workers and activists have made this weekend gathering a source of inspiration, personal retreat, and an opportunity to fine tune or tune up our energies to strengthen and promote the labor movement through the use of the creative, performing, literary, visual, and mixed media arts. Enhanced by our use of creative organizing techniques and tools this event provides the resources to build a strong, engaging, and inspiring movement.”
For more information regarding the Great Labor Arts Exchange please visit http://www.laborheritage.org/
For event registration, please click here: https://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4001/c/700/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=9799